Automatrix is an excellent automated GUI installation script for installing the most commonly used sofwares on to ubuntu linux. With this its very easy to turn linux into a complete windows substitute. There is no need for installation through painful terminals and commands. There is a beautiful GUI which links to the sofwares to their respective repositories. It has the following features
a) Shoots up xterm for full debug info (giving u a good idea about the status of your download , changes being made to your system, etc)
b) deletes all downloaded files (except those downloaded by apt-get) automatically after installation.
c) automatix does not overwrite anything without making a date_and_time_based backup.
d) When u install a new version of automatix, it automatically uninstalls and replaces the last version.
e) Automatix will refuse to run if user has synaptic/update-manager/apt-get/dpkg running and will exit gracefully.
f) Automatix will give the user the option to restore his/her original sources.list after finishing all installations.
These are the list of things that its going to update
1) Installs multimedia codecs
2) Installs all Firefox plugins (java, flash, etc) (except Adobe reader and mplayer)
3) Installs RAR, ACE and UNRAR archive support
4) Installs skype
5) Installs Acrobat reader 7 and firefox plugin for the same.
6) Installs Gnomebaker (CD/DVD burning s/w for GNOME)
7) Installs gftp (FTP client for GNOME with ssh capability)
8) Installs Amule (File sharing program)
9) Installs Frostwire (GPL clone of Limewire)
10) Installs multimedia editors (Audacity (audio), Kino (video), EasyTag (ID3))
11) Installs DVD (dvdrip) ripper
12) Installs Mplayer and mplayerplug-in version 3.05 for Firefox
13) Installs totem-xine, Realplayer, VLC and Beep Media Player (with docklet)
14) Installs Opera Browser
15) Installs Debian Menu (shows all installed applications) (this kills and restarts your gnome-panel without warning u but its a completely harmless operation!)
16) Installs Bittornado and Azureus (Bittorrent clients)
17) Installs Avidemux (Video editing tool) (New version 2.1.0)
18) Enables Numlock on (turns numlock on Gnome startup)
19) Installs Programming Tools (Anjuta (C/C++ IDE), Bluefish (HTML editor) and Screem (Web Development Env.))
20) Install GnomePPP (Graphical Dial up connection tool)
21) Installs MS true type fonts
22) Configures ctrl-alt-del to start gnome-system-monitor (aka windows)
23) Installs Streamripper and Streamtuner
24) Installs NON-FREE audio and dvd codecs
25) Installs ndisgtk (WiFi configurator Graphical user interface)
26) Upgrades Open Office to 2.0 (final version), installs openoffice clipart and installs OO2 thumbnailer. (no support for AMD64 and ppc packages)
27) Adds 3 nautilus scripts (open any file with gedit as root; open a nautilus window as root in any folder; open gnome search tool in any folder (Right click in a nautilus window and look under “scripts”)
28) Installs SUN’S JAVA JRE version 1.5
29) Installs SUN’S JAVA JDK version 1.5
30) Installs wine (u need to run winecfg manually after installation)
31) Enables ejection of CD when CDROM drive button is pressed.
32) Installs AMSN 0.95 (MSN client with webcam support)
33*) Installs firestarter (GNOME firewall frontend) and adds firestarter to GNOME startup
34*) installs gdesklets (GNOME eyecandy) and adds gdesklets to GNOME startup
35*) Gamepads (Makes USB gamepads work)
36*) Turns DMA ON on Intel and AMD machines (needs a restart)
37*) NVIDIA cards (Detects Nvidia cards and installs drivers) (Needs a restart)
38*) Adds midi capability to your Ubuntu box (test by playing a midi file with timidity or pmidi from terminal)
39*) Installs Firefox 184.108.40.206 and its plugins(themes and extensions are not retained, bookmarks need to be copied from backup folder)
I’ve tried it on my box so guyz what you are witing for go get it! Ubuntu Rox!