Linus calls GNOME a ‘interface Nazis’

I was not expecting such a comment from such a Great Geek, showing his hard feelings towards GNOME a real free desktop from GNU. He made a commnet on some Interface mail on GNOME discussion mail. GNOME is my favourite desktop enivormant. Its clean its fast and its quite stable. It don’t have any thing rivalryits a compleate GNU desktop. Linus Trovalds was refering that GNOME developers are “too confusing to the user” and its interface as”interface Nazis”This has resulted in a heated debate between fans of rival Linux desktop environments. These were the exact comments made by him

I personally just encourage people to switch to KDE.

This “users are idiots, and are confused by functionality” mentality of
Gnome is a disease. If you think your users are idiots, only idiots will
use it. I don’t use Gnome, because in striving to be simple, it has long
since reached the point where it simply doesn’t do what I need it to do.

Please, just tell people to use KDE.

Linus

The reason I don’t use Gnome: every single other window manager I know of
is very powerfully extensible, where you can switch actions to different
mouse buttons. Guess which one is not, because it might confuse the poor
users? Here’s a hint: it’s not the small and fast one.

And when I tell people that, they tend to nod, and have some story of
their own why they had a feature they used to use, but it was removed
because it might have been confusing.

Same with the file dialog. Apparently it’s too “confusing” to let users
just type the filename. So gnome forces you to do the icon selection
thing, never mind that it’s a million times slower

Linus

Do you agree with him?

Advertisements

5 Responses to Linus calls GNOME a ‘interface Nazis’

  1. Debarshi Ray says:

    I can only agree with Mark Shuttleworth that “people who can agree with 99% of the things would bitterly hagger over the remaining 1%”.

  2. Yuvi Panda says:

    Absolutely dude : Knoppix using KDE is way way way way better than Gnoppix using GNOME.

  3. GNOME is good , also the others but KDE shows that its the best one for great prformance computer but in slower one GNOME will be perfect just like the others lightly desktop .

    Linus is not a god that we should really care for what he said šŸ˜‰

  4. Actually, what is really great about the Free and Open Source Software that you can have the choice to use whatever you like or suits you better, what if there was no Gnome, do you think you can use KDE ?! for a minority it will be true but not everybody, since let’s remind all those who forgot that KDE wasn’t a FOSS, but Gnome and other Window Managers made it so.
    Anytime we have the alternative, it can be only better for the final user since there is a competition, if your product or project is not that good people can switch to another one.
    We just need to see for our selves and we will find which one suits us the best, what Linus says only implies what Linus thinks as a user, and doesn’t mean anything else.

  5. chris110 says:

    Is there a need for name calling? I think both can be perfectly fine. It depends on the user, I guess!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: